Dr. Jorunn Økland
Professor, University of Oslo, Center for Gender Research
Director, Norwegian Institute at Athens (from 1 January 2016)
- Ancient Mediterranean material culture
- Gender, ancient religion and canonised texts
- Paul of Tarsus and the emergence of Christianity
- Feminist critique of religion
- Reception history
- Theory (epistemology, gender equality, space, etc)
- 2016- present Director, Norwegian Institute at Athens
- 2007-present Professor of interdisciplinary Gender Studies in the Humanities/Centre for Gender Research/University of Oslo/Norway (on leave)
- 2012- present Founding co-editor, Journal of The Bible and its Reception (de Gruyter)
- 2015- present Translator and member of Translation Committee, Norwegian Bible Society
- Director for Centre for Gender Research, University of Oslo, From 01.01.2010–31.12.2013
- Researcher, Centre for Advanced Studies, Oslo, 2006-2007:
- Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in the New Testament, Department of Biblical Studies, University of Sheffield, UK, 2000-2008:
- Norwegian Research Council-Research Fellow, Faculty of Theology, University of Oslo, 1994-2000:
- Lecturer, teacher, research fellow at the Faculty of Theology, University of Oslo, 1992-1994:
- Research Assistant, Department of Philosophy, University of Oslo, 1989-1992
- Amadou, Christine & Økland, Jorunn (ed.) (2019). From Akershus to Acropolis: Norwegian Travelers to Greece. The Norwegian Institute at Athens.
- Økland, Jorunn; de Vos, Cornelis & Wenell, Karen (ed.) (2016). Constructions of Space III: Biblical Spatiality and the Sacred. T&T Clark/Bloomsbury.
- Økland, Jorunn (ed.) (2015). Hegemonic Masculinities in the Hebrew Bible and Second Temple Traditions (Special Issue of Biblical Interpretation). Brill Academic Publishers.
- Økland, Jorunn; Smit, Peter-Ben; van Klinken, Adriaan & Creanga, Ovidiu (ed.) (2015). Special Issue: Making Men: The Reception of the Bible in the Construction of Masculinities in Jewish and Christian Con/Texts (Special Issue of Journal of the Bible and its Reception). Walter de Gruyter.
- Fischer, Irmtraud; Navarro Puerto, Mercedes & Økland, Jorunn (2010). Tora. W. Kohlhammer GmbH.
- Økland, Jorunn (ed.) (2010). Paulus’ Brev. Bokklubbens kulturbibliotek.
- Seim, Turid Karlsen & Økland, Jorunn (ed.) (2009). Metamorphoses: Resurrection, Body and Transformative Practices in Early Christianity. Walter de Gruyter.
- Økland, Jorunn & Lyons, William John (ed.) (2009). The Way the world Ends? The Apocalypse of John in Culture and Ideology. Sheffield Phoenix Press.
- Økland, Jorunn & Boer, Roland (ed.) (2008). Marxist Feminist Criticism of the Bible. Sheffield Phoenix Press.
- 2004 Women in their Place: Paul and the Corinthian Discourse of Gender and Sanctuary Space (JSNTSup; London: T&T Clark/Bloomsbury).
- Økland, Jorunn (2019). Athens Akropolis: Et seismogram for kulturell endring. Arr. Idéhistorisk tidsskrift. 31(1-2), s 2- 15
- Økland, Jorunn (2019). Chapter 17: Pauline Letters, In Benjamin H. Dunning (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of New Testament, Gender, and Sexuality. Oxford University
- Økland, Jorunn (2018). Odysseer. Om båtflyktninger, fremmedkrigere og dem reisen forvandler til det ugjenkjennelige. Agora : Journal for metafysisk spekulasjon. 35-36(4-1), s 33- 51
- Økland, Jorunn (2018). The Power of Canonised Motifs: The Chance for Biblical Studies in a Secular, Canonically Illiterate World?, In Tat-Siong Benny Liew (ed.), Present and Future of Biblical Studies: Celebrating Twenty-five Years of Brill’s Biblical Interpretation. Brill Academic Publishers. s 216 – 239
- Økland, Jorunn (2016). Ancient Drinking in Modern Bible Translation, In Alan H. Cadwallader (ed.), Stones, Bones, and the Sacred: Essays on Material Culture and Ancient Religion in Honor of Dennis E. Smith. Society of Biblical Literature Press. Kapittel 6. s 85 – 100
- Økland, Jorunn (2016). Carnelian and Caryatids: Stone and Statuary in the Heavenly Sanctuary, In Jorunn Økland; Cornelis de Vos & Karen Wenell (ed.), Constructions of Space III: Biblical Spatiality and the Sacred. T&T Clark. Chapter 12. s 184 – 214
- Økland, Jorunn (2010). Ceres, Κορη, and Cultural Complexity: Divine Personality Definitions and Human Worshippers in Roman Corinth, In Steven J. Friesen; Daniel N. Showalter & James Walters (ed.), Corinth in Context: Comparative Studies on Religion and Society. Brill Academic PublishersVII. s 199 – 229